Let’s talk about those random, painful, and unpleasant pimples that seem to pop up at the worst times imaginable. It could be right before a vacation or just before your wedding for all your family to see. Weren’t you supposed to shake off acne in your teen years? Sadly, not—especially if you’re battling with a case of hormonal acne, which most commonly appears in adult women ages 20 to 40. Even the post-40 crowd is not completely in the clear.
Here are the main signs that your acne might be hormonal:
1. The acne is occurring on your chin or around your jawline. The clearest sign of a hormonal breakout is its location on the face. If you’re getting inflamed acne and cysts around your lower face—especially your chin and jawline—it’s safe to assume that you are indeed dealing with a hormonal breakout.
Before getting to worried that you are experiencing hormonal acne, realize that it is very common and perfectly normal. Luckily, there are simple ways to treat it!
How to treat your hormonal acne and prevent future breakouts:
1. Use an over-the-counter facial treatment. To get the most out of it, look for a cleanser that contains salicylic acid to help exfoliate the skin. TheEstala Acne Stop System contains salicylic acid and will work wonders to help reduce and prevent your hormonal breakouts.
Salicylic Acid - increases cellular turnover which allows for softer, smoother skin and better penetration of other ingredients.
- Works to slow down sebum.
- Relieves clogged pores & blackheads.
- Slows down bacterial growth.
2. Avoid picking or scraping pimples. Doing so can make them worse and lead to excess inflammation. This can also cause more dirt to enter the pores, which just makes things even harder on your skin