It’s no secret that many of us want to look younger. Youthfulness inspires confidence, makes us feel good and conveys to others that we take care of ourselves. There are many anti-aging tips, products and methods out there. But what works, and what doesn’t?
The good news is that you can turn back time, to some degree, but even better than that is to start fighting aging before it starts.
Here we will list our Top 5 Anti-Aging Tips:
- Get Moving. Exercising is just as good for your skin as it is for your body. One reason is that it releases a compound called IL 15, which prevents cell death. A skin study by McMaster University in Canada revealed that participants who took part in just two cycling sessions a week, for three months showed changes that reportedly made their skin look up to decades younger. Amazing. So ladies, that exercise class may do more than just keep you in shape.
- Cut Down On Sugar. A diet high in sugar accelerates the process of glycation, which ages skin. Glycation is when excess glucose from the blood-stream binds to the skin's 'youth proteins' (the collagen and elastin that makes youthful complexions appear so plump and doughy) and instead turns them brittle and stiff. This process kisses baby faces goodbye. Instead of sugar-laden treats, eat foods high in antioxidants such as dark berries, avocados and green juices. This is not something most of us can do in a day, but there are simple steps you can take. Try swapping your sodas for water & electrolytes. Start using Stevia or Monk Fruit in your coffee and tea in place of sugar. You can do this.
- Always Remove Makeup. Never go to bed with an uncleansed face. Doing so causes aging as you will clog and stretch your pores, which will eventually lead to collagen breakdown. Use a good cleanser, like the Estala Toner Cleanser.
- Get Beauty Sleep. When our bodies are tired, we get stressed out much more easily and over the littlest things. This also makes us crave junk and comfort foods. Stress + Junk Food = Aging. Write that one down. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night will greatly reduce your stress levels and your stress induced cravings. Our Growth hormone functions only at night, so better sleep will mean less aging. If you really cannot sleep 8 hours, take a nap mid-day, it’s actually totally normal and okay for adults.
- Use Sunscreen. Every article ever says this, we know. But seriously, it’s the most ignored tip in Anti-Aging history. Wear a broad spectrum SPF on your face anytime that you’ll be out in the sun (not just for beach days). This will protect you against harmful UV rays, which can and will wreak havoc on your skin over time.