DIY Body Scrubs For Healthier Skin
Exfoliation with a body scrub, or with other types of products like a brush or loofah, can help boost the health and appearance of your skin in several ways. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, exfoliation can leave your skin looking brighter because it removes the top layer of dead skin cells. It can also stimulate the production of collagen, which may help your skin stay firm and radiant.
Another benefit of exfoliation is that it can improve the efficacy of topical treatments. If you exfoliate your skin before applying a cream, for example, the cream will be able to penetrate more deeply instead of sitting on the surface. In addition, massaging your skin with a body scrub can also be a wonderful way to relax and feel calmer, especially if you’re tired or stressed.
Now let’s jump right in to our two favorite scrubs:
There’s some scientific evidence that caffeine may help diminish the appearance of cellulite. coffee is a popular ingredient for many DIY body scrubs. The tiny granules are gentle on the skin, while still being effective at removing dead cells from the skin’s surface. And who can’t resist the aroma of a cup of coffee?
- 1/2 cup coffee grounds
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, warmed
- Add the coffee grounds and hot water to a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Add the coconut oil. If needed, add more coffee grounds or more oil to get the consistency right.
- When you’re satisfied with the consistency, spoon the mixture into a container.
Sea Salt Scrub
Salt has antibacterial properties that can be helpful for some skin conditions. Salt is also a preservative, so the sea salt scrub will be able to naturally preserve itself. Use ground sea salt, as coarse sea salt can be too harsh on your skin. Sea salt scrubs may be too abrasive for sensitive skin. Also, be careful if you have a cut on your skin as the salt can sting. Because salt has no fragrance, you may want to add your favorite essential oils to your DIY salt scrub.
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1/2 cup oil of your choice
- essential oils (optional)
- Combine sea salt and oil in a mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly. If needed, add more salt or oil to get the consistency right.
- If desired, add one or two drops of your favorite essential oil and stir it into the mixture.
- Once you’re satisfied with the consistency and fragrance of your scrub, spoon it into a container.